We’re somehow nearly halfway through January and I have no idea where the time has gone. As the new year hurtles along, it’s once again time to reflect on the past 12 months and to wonder — what am I searching for in 2015?
I’m a little late to the party this year, but that’s not to say that I haven’t been thinking, the cogs slowly churning as I plot my life out for a new year. It’s going to be hard to top 2014 — it was the year I quit my job to travel around the US, Canada, and Central America for 5 months; spent more than a month at home in Australia with family and friends; married my best friend; and managed to squeeze in a number of adventures, both here in Vancouver and away.
Highlights have to include backcountry camping with bears and bison; hiking into a winter wonderland; living like the French in Quebec; feeling like a cowboy in Monument Valley; exploring Mexico City and the stunning Mayan coast; and taking in the beauty and slower pace of Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
So where does that leave us in 2015?
It’s true that Mr Midday Musings and I are going to scale back our travels this year — I think our bank balances demand it! I’m exploring new opportunities and excited to dive into the world of freelance and contract work and he is busy with his career too. But that doesn’t mean that my wish list for this year is any shorter… it’s just a little more practical.
In no particular order, here it is:
- Hike Panorama and/or Black Tusk trails in Garibaldi National Park
- Ski at least one more interior BC resort that I haven’t yet visited — Apex, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Panorama — suggestions welcome!
- Attempt cross-country skiing
- Visit Elfin Lakes
- Check out local wineries in the Fraser Valley
- Road trip to northern California to explore the redwood forests — and maybe a winery or two 🙂
- Get to another Bard on the Beach and Theatre Under the Stars
- Hike Cypress Mountain
- Hike the Lions
- Play tennis at Stanley Park
- Get back into yoga and a regular exercise routine
- Go to a Seahawks (NFL) game (probably not until next season though, given the price once playoffs start!)
- Take my parents to the Rockies — or at least help organise their trip!
- Ideally explore more the Rockies in summer — Yoho, Jasper, Banff
- Create a home office in our rather tiny apartment
- Read more!
- Write more 🙂
- And it’s fairly unlikely to happen this year, but hey, this is a wish list: a trip to the far north by ferry, car, or plane in the summer would be amazing. We visited the Yukon once but I’d love to go back, there or Northern BC or Churchill.
And honestly, with so much time away, there’s really nothing better than catching up friends and family. Something that I hope to do more of in 2015!
What’s on your travel and inspiration wish list this year?