Happy New Year! Somehow without even realizing, I’ve reached an important milestone — a year of blogging!
I admit that my posts haven’t always been that regular, but this year I’m hoping to be a bit more consistent. Despite this blog’s name, I rarely post at midday, but then again, it’s midday somewhere in the world, right?
So, what have I achieved in the past year? Upon reflection, it’s been a big year. In 2013 I:
- Started a part-time vegetarian diet (no small feat for a complete carnivore)
- Convinced Mr Midday Musings to join me in veggie-increasing ways
- Climbed a waterfall
- Went on a multi-night sea kayaking camping trip
- Swung into a lake on a rope
- Partied for 4 days in a canyon
- Made new friends
- Said goodbye to old friends returning home
- Celebrated Thanksgiving twice
- Completed (multiple!) art projects
- Killed at least three plants
- Kept more than five plants alive
- Got engaged
- Danced in the Vegas Strip at midnight on New Year’s
- Skied at Whistler, Cypress, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Winter Park, Mt Baker and Revelstoke
- Welcomed old friends to my new home
- Discovered the joys of Ontario in fall
- Completed my target for Grouse Grind
- Dressed as a mime
- Watched the northern lights
- Played with husky puppies in the Yukon
- Decided I truly do not enjoy downhill mountain biking
- Realized I do very much enjoy cross-country mountain biking
- Hiked The Chief, Grouse Grind, and Joffre Lakes
- Discovered the beauty of the Northern Cascades at sunset
- Basked in the heat of Washington wine country
- Finally finished watching Entourage
- Indulged in a limited number of Netflix binges —Arrested Development and Orange in the New Black, in particular
- Tried trapeze in the desert
- Felt awed by the Grand Canyon in the fog, at sunrise, and in blazing daylight
- Saw a coyote in the wild
- Marvelled over rock formations in Sedona
- Explored markets on Salt Spring Island
- Spotted a bear at Whistler
- Biked between beer and food stops in Pemberton
- Gazed at Multnomah Falls
- Cruised breweries in Portland and Fort Collins
- Had second row seats at a hockey game!
- Enjoyed (multiple) BBQs on the beach
- Shot a gun — actually, more than one. Specifically, a handgun, an uzi, and a shotgun.
- Ate the deepest dish of pizza “pie” I’ve ever seen
- Learnt to paddleboard
- Laughed til I nearly cried at Vancouver Fringe Festival
- Nearly beat Mr Midday Musings at Pitch’n’Putt
- Sampled from about 10 different food carts
- Discovered the extreme deliciousness of a butter tart
- Explored the two “Sunshine Coasts” — in BC and Qld, Australia!
- Felt stunned by the beauty of west coast sunsets
- Became grateful for all the truly wonderful, helpful, and friendly people we’ve met in North America. Seriously, Canadians and Americans — you guys are awesome.
4 thoughts on “A Year of Midday Musings!”
Nice list, you’ve been! One of the best things about blogging, I think, is recording all those memories, big and small. Have a great 2014
Thanks! It’s been quite the whirlwind year – I’m very much looking forward to seeing what 2014 has in store. All the best for you this year too!
It’s my dream to see this!